Last updated January 2018.
We have set up a Facebook page dedicated to preservation of Post Office vehicles (including GPO, Royal Mail and British Telecom). It can be accessed at https://www.facebook.com/groups/190746398148369/ Our Yahoo group continues to share information on current vehicle sightings and can be found at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/povehicleclub/info
Royal Mail discontinued the last postbus service in the British Isles – Talmine/Tongue to Lairg after the service on 19th August 2017. Thus just over fifty years’ public service by the GPO and its successors in providing postbus services has come to an end.
· For membership and general enquiries, e-mail our Secretary Frank Weston at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to him at 11 Acorn Road, NORTH Walsham, Norfolk, NR28 0UA.
· For preservation matters, including the V765 scheme for reissue of original registrations, e-mail William Staniforth at email@example.com or write to him at Green Bank, Windsoredge Road, Nailsworth, STROUD, Gloucestershire, GL6 0NP.
· Mark Skillen is our Archivist. He maintains our register of preserved GPO, Post Office, BT and Royal Mail Vehicles, and deals with enquiries regarding preserved vehicles and their attendance at events. Telephone him on 01433-670200 (evenings and weekends) or write to Ollerbrook Barn, Edale, HOPE VALLEY, Derbyshire, S33 7ZG.
· All other enquiries, including sales items and information about modern vehicles, to Editor Christopher Hogan at POVehClub@aol.com.
· Our latest publications are as follows:
Ø Postbuses – the Final Chapter (56 pages of text, 12 pages of photographs; A5 stapled) available by post from Stourbridge at £9 including postage and packing.
Ø Post Office Telephone Vehicles 1978. A5 perfect bound published July 2017. 260 pages perfect bound plus 12 pages of mainly colour photographs. £18 including postage and packing.
Ø Post Office Vehicles 2000 detailing the full service history of nearly 13,000 vans, trucks and trailers obtained in the financial year 2000-01. A5 perfect bound, it runs to 352 pages plus 24 pages of colour photographs, it retails at £20 including postage and packing.
Ø Postal Vehicles of Norway (Posten Norge), a Current Fleet List and background information on its current operations correct to March 2017. 64 pages A4 plus colour illustrations. £9 including postage and packing.
Please make cheques or postal orders payable to the “Post Office Vehicle Club” and sent to POVC Sales at 124 Shenstone Avenue, Norton, STOURBRIDGE, West Midlands, DY8 3EJ. You can also order it by BACS by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will invoice you.
· A new edition of GPO Vehicles 1946-1969: A Concise Guide was published in 2016; this book now in its fourth edition summarises Post Office vehicles in the period from the end of the Second World War to the creation of the Post Office Corporation in October 1969. This was the period when GPO vehicles were registered in complete registration series. The book has 148 pages (including 20 pages of contemporary photographs) in A5 perfect bound format. Available at £12.00 (including postage and packing) from POVC Sales at 124 Shenstone Avenue, Norton, STOURBRIDGE, West Midlands, DY8 3EJ. Please make cheques payable to the “Post Office Vehicle Club”.
· Telephone Service Vehicles since 1906 by Bill Aldridge has been published by Nostalgia Road. 64 pages, A5 format with a good selection of photographs of GPO, Post Office Telephones, British Telecom and BT vehicles over the year. Many of the photographs have been taken by Club members. £7.95 including postage and packing from POVC Sales at 124 Shenstone Avenue, Norton, STOURBRIDGE, West Midlands, DY8 3EJ. Please make cheques payable to the “Post Office Vehicle Club”.
· The latest edition of our Preserved Vehicles listing was published last year. This is the seventh edition of this popular book, listing all known preserved or surviving former GPO, Post Office, British Telecom and Royal Mail vehicles. 144 pages, A5, perfect bound with 35 assorted photographs of restored vans. Available at £12.50 (including postage and packing) from POVC Sales at 124 Shenstone Avenue, Norton, STOURBRIDGE, West Midlands, DY8 3EJ. Please make cheques payable to the “Post Office Vehicle Club”.